Corn Chowder with or without Sausage
Submitted by: Valerie Purvis
- 1 bag frozen corn or 4 ears fresh corn
- 12 oz Kielbasa sliced*
- 1 medium Onion, finely diced
- 4-6 cloves Garlic, minced
- 4 medium yellow potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 Cups whole Milk or Almond Milk
- 2 Cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt & pepper to taste
*Omit the sausage and you have a vegan-friendly soup!
- Lightly brown the kielbasa and set aside.
- Add butter, onion, garlic and saute.
- Add corn and potatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add milk, chicken broth, red pepper flakes.
- Season again with salt.
- Cover and bring to a low boil for 10 minutes.
- Smash or puree some of the potatoes to thicken broth.
- Add back the sausage and cook for a minute more.
- Garnish with fresh basil.
- Keeps in the fridge for up to a week
UC Libraries Cooks