No Knead Skillet Herb Bread
Submitted by: Susan Banoun
This is a simple and quick recipe for bread that is a family favorite
- 4 1/3 cups flour
- 2 c warm water
- 1 pkg dry yeast
- ½-1 T salt
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water and set aside for 10 minutes
- Add the salt to the flour, then add flour to the yeast/water mix, 1 cup at a time until all 4 1/3 cups are mixed in well.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour.
- Grease a cast iron skillet with olive oil (bottom and sides) and transfer the dough into the skillet.
- The dough will be sticky – oil your hands or spoon/spatula for easy transfer. Shape the dough to the pan (doesn’t need to be perfect)
- Cover the skillet and dough with a towel and let rise another 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Score the top of the dough with a sharp knife; then brush with olive oil mixed with very finely chopped herbs- I use rosemary, garlic, parsley, and a bit of ‘everything’ spice – choose whatever spices you like (Also, fresh herbs are great but dried herbs/spices soaked in a bit of olive oil work just as well)
- Cook in a preheated 400 degree oven for 30-40 minutes, until the top is golden brown and knife comes out clean
- Cool, slice and enjoy with butter. Delish.
UC Libraries Cooks