Loire Valley Dates with Blue Cheese, Bacon, and Nuts
Submitted by: Mark Konecny
This makes a very nice appetizer, served with a dry Chenin Blanc or Sancerre to offset the sweetness of the dates.
- Medjool Dates (adjust to the number of guests figure 3 dates per person)
- Roquefort Cheese (or according to your preference a milder version)
- Bacon (if you get the really thick cut, it will not crisp) ½ strip for each date
- Filbert or Hazelnut rough chopped
- Frozen Pastry Sheet cut into squares for the dates
You can always leave out the nuts or serve without the puff pastry if you prefer.
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the Pastry squares on parchment paper and cook to done according to directions.
- Mix the cheese and nuts into a crumbly filling.
- Cut open the dates, remove seed.
- Take a small amount of filling and place inside the date.
- Wrap date with bacon and fix in place with a toothpick.
- Cook for 35-40 mins turning once to brown on all sides.
- Place on pastry puffs and serve warm.