Service Learning Open Access Resources
Compiled by Debbie Tenofsky
Head of Research, Teaching, and Services
Accessibility Resources Librarian
University of Cincinnati Libraries
- Bandy, Joe. “What is Service Learning or Community Engagement?” Vanderbilt University Center for Teaching, 2011.
- Hanover Research. “Best Practices for Scaling Service-Learning,” August 2014.
2-year (community) College
- Ellerton, Sharon, S. Figueroa, P. Fuime, and D. Greenwood.“The Impact of Academic Service Learning on Community College Students.” Journal for Civic Commitment 24 (Spring 2016).
- Jeandron, Carol and Gail Robinson. Creating a Climate for Service Learning Success. American Association of Community Colleges, 2010.
- “Learn and Serve America (LSA),” Community-Wealth.org. Democracy Collaborative.
- LSA is a program of the Corporation for National and Community Service. Created under the National and Community Service Act of 1990, LSA distributes grants in support of service-learning in order to simultaneously enrich the education of young people, demonstrate the value of youth as assets to their communities, and stimulate the use of service-learning as a strategy to meet unmet community needs.
- Taggart, Amanda and Gloria Crisp.“Service Learning at Community Colleges: Synthesis, Critique, and Recommendations for Future Research. ” Journal of College Reading and Learning 42, no. 1 (Fall 2011).
Administrative Support for Service-Learning
Service Learning DEI
- “Building community and Brave Spaces as a Foundation for DEI work.” Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning. University of Connecticut.
- “Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning.” University of Connecticut.
- “Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Reading List.” University of Missouri-Kansas City Libraries.
- Holsapple, Matthew A. “Service-Learning and Student Diversity Outcomes: Existing Evidence and Directions for Future Research.” Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning (Spring 2012), 5-18.
- Porcaro, Mark and Robert McGuire. “What Tech Says About Your DEI Work: Barriers to Equitable Digital Learning and Ways We Can Remove Them.” everylearner everywhere, August 2021.
- “Service-Learning for Universities, Colleges and K-12.” Give Pulse.
- Vogelgesang, Lori J. “Diversity Work and Service-Learning: Understanding Campus Dynamics” Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning 10 (Spring 2004).
Experiential Learning DEI
- Gallagher, Sean and Corliss Brown Thompson. “How Experiential Learning Can Improve Educational and Workforce Equity.” EdSurge (December 17, 2020).
- “The NEXT Institute: Innovative Approaches to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.” Community Works Institute.
Service Learning Pedagogy, University/College
- Barnett, Marina, Paula T. Silver, Trindy S. Grundy.“Implementing Service-Learning Pedagogy:A Case Example.” Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement 13, no. 4, (2009), 117.
- García-Gutiérrez, Juan, Marta Ruiz-Corbella, and Ángeles Manjarrés Riesco. “Virtual Service-Learning in Higher Education. A Theoretical Framework for Enhancing its Development.” Frontiers in Education (March 8, 2021).
- Journal of Higher Education Outreach & Engagement 23, no. 3 (2019).
- Pribbenow, Dean A.“The Impact of Service-Learning Pedagogy on Faculty Teaching and Learning.”Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning 11 (Spring 2005), 25-38.
- Snyder, Janea and Amar Kanekar.“Role of Service-Learning Pedagogy in Enhancing Health Education Competencies.” Impact: The Journal of the Center for Interdisciplinary Teaching & Learning 10, no. 1 (2021).
- “Service Learning Higher Education.” Education Encyclopedia - StateUniversity.com.
Experiential Learning and Higher Education and University of Cincinnati
- “Experiential Learning Through Community Service: University of Cincinnati Medical Sciences (Pre-Med).” University of Cincinnati Medical Sciences, October 31, 2018. Video.
- “Experiential Learning Video.” University of Cincinnati, July 30, 2013. Video.
- “UC ProPEL - Lauren's Story of Experiential Learning at the University of Cincinnati.” UC ProPel, January 20, 2016. Video.
- “UC ProPEL - Nick's Story of Experiential Learning at the University of Cincinnati.” UC ProPel, January 4, 2016. Video.
Experiential Learning and Higher Education
- “Engaged Experiential Education | Jess Lambrecht | TEDxLakelandUniversity.” TedX Talks, March 20, 2019. Video.
- “This is Experiential Learning.” Experience Based LEarning Systems (EBLS), May 15, 2020. Video.
4-Year Colleges and Universities
- Lambright, Kristina T. and Allison F.Alden. “Voices from the Trenches: Faculty Perspectives on Support for Sustaining Service-Learning.” Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement 16, no. 2 (2012), 9.
- “Service Learning.” Center for Engaged Learning. Elon University.
- “Support Service Learning.” Office of Service lEarning. Ohio State University.
- “Experiential Learning & Teaching in Higher Education.” Nova Southeastern University.